Saturday 3 September 2011

Summer songs

Well, besides a lovely summer of getting my life into gear, I have had only a little time in between, to do my creative work, which I hope to remedy now that Autumn is in the air.

Days that I have managed to steel away to create have been spent in my new work space. A shed in the back garden (thanks for help from my father). 

I like to call it a "Chalet" of course...it's very exciting...a sort of 'Summer House' with a little veranda that you might imagine Huckleberry Finn to be sitting on in a rocking chair...(a bit older though, with a Jack Daniels and perhaps a guitar)...(and a fag). Inside, I aimed to keep furnishings minimal, so it kind of looks like a nunnery/school room, it feels quite colonial. 
It is a massive 2 by 2 meter square inside, and just the right size for my small table, a good chair, my old gas heater from the last, but one studio (Roger, you know them well), a nice rug, and lastly, a favourite framed original etching of mine from childhood, hung beautifully on it's own upon the white gloss walls. A green stain on the wood has made up for it's 'shed' look.
Andrew and I needed to re-sew a lot of grass which is now growing; much like my vigour.


Here is the table and my drawing board, and here she is at night...a little glowing light.
No more cellar (the place I have used to work in for some years on and off), goodbye depths, and hello garden!

My music inspiration this time is Meat Loaf. Oh, and Kate Bush too....just the kind of Beauty and the Beast scenario Meat Loaf might have imagined. I call them Kate Loaf and Meat Bush.
Below I share some wonderfully awful videos of Mr Loaf...
I wouldn't generally do this on my blog...I don't think... (who laid down the blog rules?) I simply must share a couple of examples from YouTube. Bat out of Hell goes without saying...

Modern Girl
Aside the even more awful recording where the sound falls out of sync at the end making it more like a badly dubbed B movie; here is the first of my inspirations...I reckon I may have pencilled the sheer vibe of this harmonious cocktail (not the video as much as the music and please note: the ferociously 80's looking, and extraordinarily choreographed women).  



                                                              

I Love it!

Dead Ringer for Love
Here we go, its Cher for this one,...pure unremitting SASS! (Definition: Ungodly amount of cool) = THE duo.                                                                                                           




I am all set with these tuneful comrades, I swear to God that listening to this stuff improves the work by half. Of course the space one works in makes all the difference and this...after years, has now become just how I like it.
My parting recommendation would be album collections: 'Piece of the action, The best of Meat Loaf' and 'Kate Bush, Hounds of Love'.

Rock and Roll.